“He is user-friendly and explains the law in a comprehensive way.”Chambers & Partners 2018
Will is ranked in both Chambers & Partners and Legal 500. His core practice arises at the interface of public and criminal law. This work often involves areas of technical complexity or where there is an international element, including asset recovery and money laundering, human rights, prison law, indirect tax and law enforcement powers.
Will has recently acted on domestic and international requests for asset recovery, challenges to HMRC powers of seizure, challenges to prisoner detention and repatriation and applications before the European Court of Human Rights. He is regularly instructed to advise City law firms on their money laundering obligations.
“Intelligent… a great eye for detail… a rising star”Chambers & Partners 2019
- Murray v United Kingdom, ECtHR, ongoing (right to fair trial in Northern Ireland).
- R v Guraj (Supreme Court)  1 WLR 22 (postponement of confiscation orders).
- NCA v Khan (QBD)  Lloyd’s Rep FC 153 (civil recovery of organised crime property).
- MP (Sri Lanka) v Secretary of State for the Home Department(Supreme Court)  2 All ER 155 (reference by Supreme Court to ECJ on immigration/EU issue).
- R v A Ltd  EWCA Crim 1469;  4 WLR 176 (attribution principle where director is absent from trial).
- Emu v Westminster Magistrates’ Court  EWHC 2561 (Admin) (calculation of default term).
- Peacock v United Kingdom, ECtHR, Application no. 52335/12 (the right to property in confiscation proceedings).
- R v AIL (A Company)  EWCA Crim 2;  QB 763 (corruption and foreign principals).
- Amber Services Europe Ltd v Director of Border Revenue  EWHC 3665 (Admin);  1 WLR 1889 (seizure powers over tobacco).
- Malabu Oil and Gas Ltd v DPP  Lloyd’s Rep. F.C. 108 (cross-border restraint).
- R v GH (Supreme Court)  UKSC 24;  1 WLR 2126 (money laundering arrangements).
- R v Ahmad (Shakeel) (Supreme Court)  UKSC 36;  AC 299 (joint benefit in confiscation).
- Attorney General’s Panel for Civil Litigation (B)
- Serious Fraud Office Panel of Counsel
- Crown Prosecution Service Prosecutor
- Blackstone’s Criminal Practice
- Lloyd’s Financial Crime Law Reports
- Millington and Sutherland Williams on the Proceeds of Crime
To view William Hays’ Privacy Notice, please click here.